- Climate: Tropical, influenced by monsoons
- Annual average temperature: 25.70C
- Natural land area: 1,256 km2
- Average population: 951,929 persons (2011)
- Administrative units: 6 urban districts, 1 rural district and 1 archipelago district
Danang has potential for economic, tourism and investment development:
1. Strategic location:
- Danang – The powerhouse of growth and development for the Central Vietnam
Danang plays a crucial role as the growth engine of the Key Economic Region in Central Vietnam, and giving the impetus to the socio-economic growth of the Central Region and the Western Highlands.
The Key Economic Zone in Central Vietnam consists of:
· Thua Thien – Hue Province (Chan May – Lang Co Economic Zone)
· Quang Nam Province (Chu Lai Open Economic Zone)
· Quang Ngai Province (Dung Quat Economic Zone)
· Binh Dinh Province (Nhon Hoi Economic Zone)
- Danang - The Eastern Gateway of the East- West Economic Corridor
Danang Port is the Eastern gateway to the EWEC, acting as the access point for the Pacific Ocean of the virtually untapped hinterland of Laos, Northeast Thailand, Myanmar and Central Vietnam. It generates a huge opportuniy for Danang to develop the economic exchange with other nations in the Greater Mekong Sub-region and the Indian Ganges River economic areas.
- East-West Economic Corridor (EWEC) is the 1,450km route linking the Indian and the Pacific Oceans. From Mawlamyine (Myanmar), it runs across 13 provinces of four countries of the GMS (Myanmar, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam) to Danang port (Vietnam) as the end point.
Benefits of EWEC:
+Facilitate the transportation of goods and passengers
+Facilitate tourism, investment and cross-border trade
+Improve regional socio-economic conditions
+Accelerate regional cooperation
- Danang – the entrance for exploring the World Natural and Cultural Heritages in Central Vietnam
Danang is located on the 1,500km World Heritage Road stretching along the coastline of Central Vietnam. Traveling along Highway 1A, Danang is a short drive to the four of seven UNESCO-designated World Heritage Sites, consisting of Hoi An Ancient Town, My Son Sanctuary, Hue Imperial City and Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park.
+Danang - Hoi An Ancient Town: 30km to the south east (30 minute drive)
+Danang - My Son Sanctuary : 70km to the south west (1 hour drive)
+Danang – Hue Imperial City : 100km to the north (90 minute drive)
+Danang - Phong Nha Ke Bang : 300km to the north (6 hour drive)
2. Developed infrastructure
Danang is an important communication hub of the Central Region, Western Highlands and Vietnam. It has an international airport, deep-water seaport, north-south land routes and railway to support economic activities, investment and tourism.
- Danang Port is one of the largest commercial ports in Vietnam and the best container port in the central region with regular direct international shipping lines to Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and Malaysia.
+ Four deep water berths (965m long)
+ Well-equipped warehouses (59,373 m2) and yards (173,610m2)
+ Six million tons of cargo handling throughput
+ Accommodate 45,000 DWT bulk ships, 2,000 TEU container ships, 75,000 GRT liners
+ Modern equipment capable of working both bulk cargoes and containers
- Danang International Airport, less than 10 - minute drive from the city centre, is one of the three best airports and the third busiest terminal in Vietnam. The new three - storey terminal on an area of 36,600m2 has enabled it to meet the standards of the International Aviation Transport Association and accommodate 4 - 6 million passengers per year.
Apart from domestic flights, there are weekly international flights from Danang to Singapore, Guangzhou (China), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Incheon (South Korea). Also, there are charter flights from Danang to Taipei, Shanghai, Kunming and vice versa.
- Power and Water Supply: The power in Danang is supplied from the national North-South 500KV high voltage grid. The water supply totally meets production and service activities as well as domestic use of the city.
Water supply capacity (m3/day and night)
Fresh water accessibility rate
- Telecommunications: Danang is an important telecommunication hub of the country and in the world. It is also one of the three most important end points of the national trunk network and the international direct connecting point.
+ The International Marine Optical Fiber Cable Station (SEMEWE 3) with an international transmission line of 10 Gbps linking Vietnam with nearly 40 countries in Europe and Asia is based in Danang.
+ Three years in a row 2009, 2010 and 2011, Danang was ranked number one in the readiness for ICT application (reported in the Vietnam ICT Index).
+ Being the pioneer in Central Vietnam and the second city in Vietnam cooperating with IBM to develop ICT infrastructures under IBM’s ‘Smarter City’ model.
- Road System
+ The road system inside and outside the city has been continually expanded and newly built to facilitate the transportation and tourism development as well as create the avenue which to transform the appearance of the most crowded urban area in Central Vietnam.
+ Danang – Quang Ngai Highway - 130km long and 26m wide, is planned to be built in 2012 in order to facilitate cargo transportation and economic development in the region.
- Support services for investment: Danang is one of Vietnam’s leading service hubs in which banking, financing, insurance and logistics services are increasingly developed so as to meet the demand of a wide range of business ventures and enterprises.
3. Human Resources:
Danang’s workforce, accounting for nearly 50% of the city population, is dynamic and well trained in universities and techinical and vocational schools to meet the demand for manpower of businesses in Danang and Central Vietnam.
- The University of Da Nang: Being a multi-level and multi-disciplinary major regional university, the University of Danang (UD) takes the key part in training human resources and doing scientific research in Central Vietnam particularly and of the whole of Vietnam in general.
The University of Danang is cooperating with foreign universities such as the University of Toulouse (France), University of Montreal (Canada), University of Queensland (Australia), University of Sunderland (UK), Yokohama National University (Japan), etc. to deliver training programmes in Danang as well as abroad.
4. Business - Friendly Environment
The business and investment climate and policies in Danang have been continually improved to offer the best conditions to investors.
- Offering one-stop shop service in granting investment certificates for projects by:
+ Outside IZs at Danang Investment Promotion Center (IPC DANANG)
+ Inside Izs at Danang IZ & EPZ Authority
- Transparent investment procedures: www.danang.e-regulations.org
- Free and easy access to information on legal regulations and planning
- Competitive land rental
- Local authorities responsible for site clearance, compensation and relocation of residents
- Regular dialogues between local leaders and businesses
-Technical utilities provided to project sites
5. Quality of life
- Road networks, public services and urban facilities have been built and renewed to make living conditions in Danang more comfortable. Many planned residential areas, new roads, parks, play-grounds, supermarkets, trade centers and clean and open promenades make Danang a beautiful city. Schools, hospitals, and golf courses of international standards have been being set up in order to better local residents’ life and to satisfy foreign investors and visitors.
- A number of humane social policies and various initiatives such as the “Five Nos”, “Three Must-Haves” have been implementing with the participation of the community so that Danang becomes a bustling developed city, of good cultural environment and lifestyle, and with a high quality of life.
- Five Nos :
+ No poor households according to the city poverty standard;
+ No students will leave during primary or secondary education;
+ No beggars;
+ No drug addicts in the community;
+ No killing for properties.
- Three Must-Haves:
+ Have accommodation;
+ Have job;
+ Have civilized lifestyle.
- Life in Danang usually makes your mind at peace, ease and close to nature. The city is embracing the vision of an enviroment friendly city with concrete action plans to increase its green area and public space, ensure the standards of water and air quality, and better address the climate change.
- Those who have ever visited or worked in Danang often comment that they leave with good impression of the people of Danang, who have a reputation for being simple in speech but daring in thought and at work, eager to learn and very hospitable.
- The living cost in Danang is fairly reasonable compared to that of other big cities in Vietnam.
6. Rich tourism potential:
- Danang has 70km of beautiful coastline, bathed with sunshine for much of the year.
+ Danang beach was recognized as one of the most luxurious beaches in the world by Forbes magazine (USA) in 2005
+ My Khe Beach in Danang was included in the top 10 beaches in Asia as reported by the Sunday Herald Sun (Australia) in 2009.
- Danang has many famous tourist sites close by.
+ The beautiful and spiritual Ngu Hanh Son or Marble Mountains, with their mysterious caves and ancient pagodas and souvenirs made of marble by hundreds of talented stone sculptors, are one of the municipal symbols and less than ten kilometers from Danang.
+ The gorgeous Ba Na Mountain Resort at the 1,487m height has a temperate climate, fresh air, unspoiled forest and spectacular views is only a 40 minute drive from Danang. It was known as a high-class resort developed by the French a hundred year ago.
· Ba Na cable car system has a length of 16,500 feet (5.042km) and a heigh difference of more than 4,230 feet (1,291.81 m) between its upper and lower stations, setting two Guinness World Records for the longest and highest non-stop cable car.
· Fantasy Park is the only world-class indoor entertainment park in Vietnam located at the top of Ba Na Mountain.
+ The nearby Son Tra Peninsular is a natural conservation area and ecological tourist site suitable for trekking, diving, swimming and fishing.
+ The Museum of Cham Sculpture built in 1915 is the only museum in South East Asia, preserving the unique Cham cultural heritage of the region. It has more than 400 original masterpieces of Cham sculpture that were carved from the 7th to the 15th century, reflecting the spiritual life and the religion of Cham people.
- Danang hosts many traditional festivals, including Quan The Am Buddhist Festival and Cau Ngu, a traditional festival for fishermen, and boat racing, and traditional Vietnamese singings and folklores such as Hat Tuong, Bai Choi, Ho Cheo Thuyen and Ho Khoan with traditional music and dance.
- The Danang International Fireworks Competition in April is a unique cultural and tourist event of the city.
- Diverse tourist facilities and services available in Danang cater to all tastes.
· A wide range of world-class resorts managed by many highly-branded management units such as Hyatt, Marriot, Novotel, Inter Continental, Hilton, Somerset, Mecure, Furama, etc.
· Crowne Plaza: The only casino in Central Vietnam; The Dunes golf course designed by Greg Norman, the world’s number one ranked golfer
· A marina of international standard is being built.